Thing 16 Digital Footprint


Thing16 Digital Footprint

It is a useful exercise to remember about our digital footprint.  I think a common sense approach is needed. Looking at our digital footprint reminds us to look critically at apps and sites we sign up to.  Too often we think that is a useful app/website and maybe look at the reviews before joining or downloading.  Our information can then be accessed by various organisations. Using our home laptop we were getting advertisements appearing down the side of our home emails.  When we visited a site, then it would appear in the side of our emails.
Passwords can be another issue, I use a mix of lower/upper case letters, numbers and speech marks. After you create a password a box will appear questioning do you want to save the password to the computer.  I never do this because if your computer is stolen then anyone can access various sites you use.  If there is a problem with your computer and all the information is wiped then you will have lost all the passwords.  I write my passwords in a notebook but I plan to get a password notebook, which is like an address book and the information can be stored alphabetically.
Another useful thing to be aware of highlighted on the Rudai 23 Blog, was being aware when out and about to connecting to Wi-Fi, which I would not have considered before.  I will look further into the internet and how it works to better equip myself for looking at my digital footprint.
Looking at the additional tools, a lot of people use “WhatsApp” which I didn’t realise has end – to –end encryption. I will download the app “Duckduckgo” as I had heard the name and seen the name on social media, but didn’t know much about it. Another area I will explore more is the Library Freedom project and look at their privacy tools.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 14 Personnel Information Management

Thing 15 Evaluating Information

Thing 6 - Reflective Blog