Thing 21 Professional Groups


Thing 21 Professional Groups
I hadn’t given Professional Groups much thought, I had heard the name CILIP but didn’t know much about it. I then began to think if there were any Professional Groups I could join.
I started working in the Library as a Library Assistant 15 years ago (that sounds like a long time ago).  When I got the position, the requirements for me included a degree and I had a Degree in Textile and Fashion Design.  In my previous position as a Textile Designer in the Linen Industry I looked after a collection of designs from when the company was founded over 100 years ago.  These were all catalogued and filed so that any design could be retrieved.
I was unsure if any of the Professional Associations would allow me membership without a Library Qualification.  In doing this course I thought I would look into membership of a Library Association as part of Thing 21. I can also join CILIP at entry level and the Library Association of Ireland.
I am planning to join the Library Association of Ireland as it would help me to develop more skills and knowledge through events they hold and it would also give me the opportunity to network with other Librarians.
Although at present I am not a member of any Professional group I do follow them on twitter. The Professional Association I follow are Library Association of Ireland, Libfocus, SLIP Ireland, CONUL, A &SL to help gain knowledge of what is happening within Libraries .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 14 Personnel Information Management

Thing 15 Evaluating Information

Thing 22 Engaged Professional - Reflective Practice