Thing 8 - Creating an Infographic




This task involved creating an infographic from a report using either Pikochart or Canva.
I started by reading through Rudia’s blog on Infographics.  I had training on using both the above through work, although I hadn’t created an infographic, as I felt I needed a bit of time to get familiar with tools.
My Boss had received a report from UpToDate on the useage of the Database in the hospital.  She wanted an infographic created, so I took this opportunity to use the information and turn it into an infograpraphic UpToDate which could also be used for advertising .
I decided to look at other examples of infographics for statistics. I took a note of the elements I liked and could possibly use.  I looked at the information given in the report and summarised it into 4 areas.  Then I logged into Pikochart.  I found that there was a limited number of free templates and they weren’t the layout I was looking for.  Perhaps it is easier to create an infographic from scratch, but I felt I would rather have a template to follow for my first infographic.  If I had more time I would perhaps create one from scratch.
I then logged into Canva.  There was a lot of templates and I began to wonder if any of these would suit. I used the search bar to search for an infographic for statistics.  There were quite a few templates which I scrolled through and then picked one which I thought I could use.  I then started to edit the template, changing the background, wording and adding in pie charts and other elements.  It was easy to edit, creating the pie charts and putting in the information to create the pie chart was straight forward and the percentages were calculated.  The only annoying thing I found was the delete button. You had to remember to click on the bin button on the tool bar. Over all I found Canva very straight forward to use and having the search bar to limit the number templates to look at was very useful.
I hope to create more infographics in the future as it is a good visual communication aid and hopefully the infographic I have created will encourage staff in the hospital to register and use UpToDate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 14 Personnel Information Management

Thing 15 Evaluating Information

Thing 6 - Reflective Blog