Thing 3 Image Banks


A photo downloaded from Pixabay.  
  
Image banks

I have in the past used Pexels for looking for images for tweets and for posters.  I am unable to access Pixabay because of the IT restrictions in work and as a result I use Pexels.
Reading the information prior to the task for thing 3 helped me about usage of images.  I hadn’t realised that you could restrict your search on Google images to free images, which I will use in the future when searching Google.  Having found free images in Google, I was looking for an image for a poster to promote the Library.  I clicked on tools then restricted the search to usage rights, labelled for reuse.  It is very straight forward to use and limits the relevant results.  I had never clicked on tools before and the options underneath did prove very useful.  It will also encourage me to explore the tabs on the whole screen, as you never know what you will find which would prove useful.
It is important to be aware of the copyright licensing for images, how it works and legal responsibility.  I confess I had little knowledge in this area and a bit weary of using images.  I feel more confident having read the information on the different type of licensing with Creative Commons.  It was also useful to see the example of how a good attribution should appear.  I have now an example to follow as I look to use more images in my blog.
As I increasingly use more images for the Library and especially for social media, it is invaluable to know the correct process for using images to fulfill legal requirements.
I choose Pixabay as my image bank for Thing 3 as it has a large range of images including graphics.  I was looking for an image of a stack of books that had no title on the spine.  It could represent any books and not restrict the books by the subject or title.  I found it easy to find an image, download and post on my blog.  There is no attribution required using Pixabay but I did however leave a thank you under the comments section.  I felt it was important to appreciate the use of the photograph by Hermann (used in my Thing 3blog).  I used another photograph from Pixabay for my profile it was a photograph by Snufkin.  I was looking for another photograph of books, I liked the image by Snufkin and it coincidently toned with the colour of my jumper on my profile picture.  It is interesting to click on the photographer’s name and see other works that they have posted on Pixabay.
It was a task that I enjoyed doing and I have explored a wealth of images.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 14 Personnel Information Management

Thing 15 Evaluating Information

Thing 6 - Reflective Blog